Thursday, March 17, 2011

My Fair Godmother :: A Bookanista Review

I have sung Janette Rallison's praises before. She's one of my favorite authors! (Someone PLEASE make one of her novels into a movie!) When I lay in bed reading her books well into the night, I laugh furiously, face pressed into my pillow, and pray I don't disturb my husband. That's how good her books are.

So today I am thrilled to be reviewing MY FAIR GODMOTHER.

After her boyfriend dumps her for her older sister, sophomore Savannah Delano wishes she could find a true prince to take her to the prom. Enter Chrissy (Chrysanthemum) Everstar: Savannah’s gum-chewing, cell phone–carrying, high heel-wearing Fair Godmother. Showing why she’s only Fair—because she’s not a very good fairy student—Chrissy mistakenly sends Savannah back in time to the Middle Ages, first as Cinderella, then as Snow White. Finally she sends Tristan, a boy in Savannah’s class, back instead to turn him into her prom-worthy prince. When Savannah returns to the Middle Ages to save Tristan, they must team up to defeat a troll, a dragon, and the mysterious and undeniably sexy Black Knight. Laughs abound in this clever fairy tale twist from a master of romantic comedy.

What I liked about this book: Absolutely everything--but mostly the humor. Rallison takes ordinary, swoon-worthy fairy tales and points out their major, drastic flaws in a way that will have you laughing and crying until the very end of the book.

What I liked about the main character: At first you don't like Savannah. She's gorgeous, everyone loves her, life's perfect, and she takes it all for granted. Until her boyfriend dumps her in favor of her older, smarter, more organized sister. And then Savannah realizes she's got a lot of growing up to do and you can't help but love her.

The Romance: As always, Rallison builds this up to frustrating proportions before giving any type of relief. The romance is smoking.

The other thing I liked: Well, there are too many other things that I liked to pick just one. First of all, the mysterious Black Knight was absolutely yummy, even if we couldn't see his face. And the other love interest, the boy Savannah goes back to the dark ages to save? Even yummier. And then there's the little curse Savannah has--if she tells a lie, an amphibian grows in her mouth, but she's put in predicaments where the truth can't be told, so she's spitting out a lot of amphibians.

All in all, this is a book that will be on my all-time favorites list.

14 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

I read this book last year and remember thinking it was really cute!

Carrie Harris said...

Ooooh. I keep seeing this cover around, but I never checked it out. I'll be adding it to my to-read list now!

Thanks for the rec!

Aurora Smith said...

Funny books are the best. I must check this one out!

Stasia said...

This book wasn't on my radar but it's going right onto my tbr list now! Thanks for the review.

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like a must have to me - thanks for the tip! :)

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Sounds like a fun, super funny read! I love that there's a fairy mother element combined with time travel! Some of my favorite stuff in this. This is just the sort of book I'd love to read over spring break.

Jessie Oliveros said...

I just finished this book, and I was up late laughing out loud, too. Luckily my husband goes to bed late, too, so he didn't seem to mind. You described it perfectly!

Bethany Wiggins said...

Thanks, Jessie! All of Janette's books have me hooting and hollering well into the night.

Myrna Foster said...

I need to read this one. Bring on the funny!

Elana Johnson said...

Great review--and Janette is a fantastic person too! :)

Devony said...

I LOVE this book as well. Did you know the sequel is coming out soon? My Unfair Godmother is supposed to be even better than this one, but I don't know how!

Bethany Wiggins said...

A & D, I saw that this has a sequel. I'm *hoping* to get my hands on the ARC!!!

Anonymous said...

I've seen this before. I'll check if it's on my wish list since I enjoy humorous books.

best pharmacy said...

Janette Rallison has produced a wonderfully fractured fairy tale here with enough twists to surprise and delight even the most jaded and cynical of readers. The surprises begin with the choice of protagonists. You'd think it would be Jane Delano, the shy, studious older sister who has long loved Hunter Delmont from afar, not Savannah Delano, the flirtatious, air-head, shopaholic younger sister whom Hunter is dating and taking to the prom. But no, a furious Jane sets out to do a total makeover, with the help of a delighted and clueless Savannah, in order to punish Hunter for ignoring her. Instead Jane accidentally wins Hunter's heart, and a devastated Savannah is the one who gets a fairy godmother, one Chrysanthemum Everstar, Chrissy for short, to grant her three wishes ensuring that she AND Jane lived happily ever after....