Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Rest of the Story


You guys make me laugh. I can imagine the stories you're making up to fill in the blanks about the conclusion to my terrible Valentine's Day, posted about here. The sad truth is, the guy was a jerk and got a better Valentine's Day offer (in his obviously flawed opinion)--night snowboarding--so ditched me. He didn't do much to make it up back then (But he has since mended his ways!).

I was such a besotted, love-sick fool that, after tearing the petals off the rose I'd gotten for him--and stomping them into the snow, and after he gave me a good dose of puppy dog eyes, I totally forgave him.

Some of you know I got on a greyhound bus days after my twenty-first birthday, rode it across the USA, and married him. What does this have to do with writing? I guess I know how it feels to be so in love that you are willing to risk everything. Makes for a good story, at least.

To this day I have no regrets. I followed my heart and it led me to a really good place.

5 comments:

Laura Pauling said...

It's easy to forget just what young love can do to a person. Remembering this is important in writing YA. Glad taking the risk worked out for you!

Nicole Zoltack said...

I'm so glad to hear that following your heart made all the difference!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Such a great, great story. Following your heart is seldom the wrong choice. :-)

Tez Miller said...

Maybe you and he should go night-snowboarding TOGETHER ;-)

Jemi Fraser said...

Thanks for filling in the blanks! Definitely a story of love meant-to-be! :)