Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Bookanistas: Monster High

My dear friend Elana once told me something very profound. Good writing always makes a good book. That sums up Monster High beautifully. I read the back of the book and wasn't sure if I'd like the story. It isn't my usual cup of tea. But the instant I read the first paragraph, I was hooked.

Monster High by Lisi Harrison
release date: September 2010

The monster community has kept a low profile at the local high school, but when two new girls enroll, the town will never be the same. Created just fifteen days ago, Frankie Stein is psyched to trade her father's formaldehyde-smelling basement lab for parties and prom.

But with a student body totally freaked out by rumors of monsters stalking the halls, Frankie learns that high school can be rough for a chic freak like her. She thinks she finds a friend in fellow new student Melody Carver-but can a "normie" be trusted with her big secret?

What I liked about this book: The characters. They were hilarious! Lisi Harrison made each one so individual, I felt like I knew them.

What I liked about the characters: Specifically, the mean big sister, Candace. She's so superficial, she's named her breasts after her two favorite designers, Chloe and Coco. And she always has the most hilarious comebacks.

The best part of this book: The writing and the humor. Lisi is a word ninja. Seriously. She's awesome. Also, there are Monster High DOLLS for sale. No joke. So you gotta check this book out, come September!

For more fabulous Bookanista reviews, check out these blogs:

12 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Oh, I MUST have a copy of this book! My h.s. students will love it (um, and so will I)! :-)

Unknown said...

At Maggie Stiefvater's book signing last night the owner of the bookstore talked about Monster High, Lisi Harrison is coming on September 17th so now I'll have to grab it!!! I was going to check out the reviews and synopsis today but you saved me the trouble!!!

Thanks :) Happy Thursday!

Christine Fonseca said...

I love this book already! WOOT!!!

Angela said...

Another book to put on my reading list.

Matthew MacNish said...

I see what you mean about the jacket copy, it does sound a little weird. But if you say it's that entertaining Bethany, it's got to be good!

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like a really fun read - can't wait to check it out :)

Elana Johnson said...

Awesome! I need to get this -- why didn't I sign up? I'm off to do that right now.

Elana Johnson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Myra McEntire said...

Okay - I love hilarious. I'm with Elana!

Rachel said...

Sounds great -- thank you for this.

Jo Schaffer said...

I have heard so many good things about the book--I had better get it! (=

Melissa Sarno said...

Oooh, I'm very excited to read this series. I've also had a sneak peak at the dolls, they are very, very cool.